USB to IDE + IDE CD-ROM

Find something the Numark DDS or Numark DDS80 doesn't support? Or maybe you just want to check if a device is supported before buying.
VanguardH

USB to IDE + IDE CD-ROM

Post by VanguardH » 02 Aug 2009, 19:19

I had my thinking hat on during this weekend. I considered that the DDS80 is essentially a USB hub connected to 2 x IDE/USB converters. I had a spare external CD drive lying around plus a USB to IDE converter. I decided to take them to a gig today. Low and behold it worked as I expected. No additional drivers were required. The only problems that I found were that I could not load multiple track from the same CD at the same time (the manual says you can) and also that it does not read the CD track info (ie. Track name and Album name).... Oh.... and you have to eject the CD from the DDS using the eject button (not rocket science this one, but still a hassle).

Leaves me a bit concerned that if I buy a laptop external drive (just for size and weight convenience) whether it will work as some say they have a driver disk. Will look into this more though. Still a lot cheaper option than buying the DDS80!!!!

Van.